Jehovah’s Witnesses And Custody Battles
The following was received today:
My ex-wife and I have been divorced for 8 years and have a 50/50 custody arrangement with our 12 year old son. Prior to divorce, we were practicing Lutherans. Our son was baptized Lutheran. I have never wavered with continuing to raise him as a Lutheran post divorce. My ex also continued in the Lutheran faith up until a few years ago where she started to pursue the JW religion. Within the last 6 months or so, after she was baptized in JW, she has really ramped up her efforts with our son.
This has affected his schooling as well as extracurricular activities and obviously a major effort to “inculcate” him in the JW way. ALL quite different to the status quot/mainstream ways he was experiencing. As a result I have pursued legal action to assume full custody as I believe he is being put in a terrible position having to “make sense” of this radical teaching compared to what he has always been used to. Also the limitations and restrictions, if allowed unchecked, seem to give him little opportunity moving forward as it pertains to succeeding in a mainstream life. Any thoughts/advice that I can utilize as I plead my case to the courts. Thank you and thank you for this website!
I’m going to include an exchange that I had last year with a gentleman who was going through much the same situation only he was fighting the grandparents for custody. I’m including portions of that exchange below:
Hello Doug. My daughter has been systematically stripped away from me by my ex wife’s Jehovah’s Witness parents. They have lied and spent a ton of money over the last eight years to finally get guardianship of my daughter. I still get her every other weekend. Cut to the chase, my daughter got caught kissing a girl in school and the principal called the grandparents. They have been calling her hateful names like queer and faggot. She doesn’t believe in Jehovah’s Witnesses. She wants out and wants to live with me. Any advice?
You are lucky Anonymous! The grandparents have been unable to brainwash your daughter against you and this is a huge plus for you!
As in any legal matter you should consult the services of a competent attorney…preferably one who specializes in these types of cases.
Depending on the laws of your state this may very well be a simple matter of your daughter petitioning the court to allow her to choose where and with whom she will live.
Different states allow for different ages for this sort of thing and your daughter’s age is crucial in this. If she is still too young to make her own decisions then she can certainly petition the court for emancipation from her grandparents on the basis of their actions in calling her these hateful names or in forcing her to believe a certain religious viewpoint.
Another highly effective method of presenting the court with proof that you are more fit to be her guardian is to have the blood issue brought to the fore. Get the grandparents on record (under oath) and ask them the following:
“If you were in such a position to do so, would you choose to allow your granddaughter to die rather than permit a doctor recommended life saving blood transfusion?”
Being Jehovah’s Witnesses and being under oath they would have to state unequivocally that they would not allow this.
Make sure that your attorney asks these questions while they are under oath, questions them as a hostile witness (yes or no answers only), and that they not be allowed to elaborate!
Again any honest Jehovah’s Witness will have to admit that they will do just about anything to stop a life-saving transfusion from being administered to their loved ones.
They have been brainwashed into believing that a transfusion is an eternal “death sentence” to any Jehovah’s Witness.
With regard to tactics:
Your daughter has options and these options can make her Jehovah’s Witness grandparents crazy.
- For example she could choose to participate in sports at school (Jehovah’s Witnesses strongly discourage this!)
- She could choose to run for class president or some other position in the student government.
- She can choose to read books by former Jehovah’s Witnesses like “Crisis of Conscience” by Raymond Franz a former member of the Governing Body who dissented and left. Jehovah’s Witnesses consider him to be the a proverbial Anti-Christ and anything he wrote to be pure poison to a Jehovah’s Witness.
- She can choose to attend a church other than the Kingdom Hall. Make sure she brings her new church’s literature with her when she goes back home to the grandparents!
- Have your daughter start a blog online about her trials and tribulations dealing with her JW grandparents. You and your daughter can do this together. It is great fun I can tell you!
- Your daughter can whistle or sing Christmas carols, religious songs like “Amazing Grace” and other tunes offensive to JW’s on all levels! I recommend she do so often and at the most inappropriate times like when there are other JW’s visiting the home or during the meetings at the Kingdom Hall. It won’t take but just a few of these episodes and she won’t be welcome back!
- Give her a huge cross to wear on a chain around her neck. Have her wear it to the Kingdom Hall and in front of her grandparents. Have you ever watched a Dracula movie? Remember what crosses do to vampires? They have the very same effect on Jehovah’s Witnesses! You will laugh when you hear of their reactions!
- She can choose to join the ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps) or similar military style function in school. The grandparents will have an absolute fit if she does this.
All of these things are engineered to drive your former in-laws stark raving nuts.
They may have won in court but this is psychological warfare. You’re just getting cranked up and the life and mental well being of your daughter is at stake. Are you going to allow these brainwashed psychopaths to put your daughter in harm’s way? No you aren’t! I applaud your efforts to help your daughter and to preserve what is left of your family!
If the grandparents attempt to prevent your daughter from doing all of these normal things then you take them straight to court and notify the court of these matters. Don’t let one single threat or hateful remark go by. Have your attorney contact their attorney with a formal complaint and have your daughter document everything to the letter along with a date and time.
Establish a record for EVERYTHING!
The more wacky and insane you can show these Jehovah’s Witnesses to be the more likely it is that you’ll get full custody.
This is a psychological war of attrition! Eventually you and your daughter working in tandem will wear the poor grandparents out. Then they will simply give up and your daughter will be yours!
You may just be surprised when they drop your daughter off at your home because they simply won’t be able to handle these constant threats to their own fragile mental states!
Make no mistake: your job, and that of your daughter’s, is to make the grandparent’s lives absolute hell on earth. Have them walking on eggshells at every turn. Document every cross word, nutty response or insult. Make them accountable. Make them sorry they asked the court for custody!
You are fighting for your daughter. She is fighting for you. This will bond you two together for the rest of your lives. I’ve been in this situation myself and I have both my wife and daughter to show for it now!
Above all Anonymous, have fun with this! If you’d like to share your success stories with us whether funny or serious please do so! We’d love to hear from you.